Thursday, March 3, 2016


SUNSHINE (A LOVE LETTER TO KANSAS CITY)


 

 

I love …


love to rise early on Saturn’s morning, feel his rings


feel his rings like hula hoops around my childlike heart


skip! jump in my car, roll down 71


sit giddy geeked in front of Scooters

peering down a pristine 47th Street

into the darkness of Cleaver Blvd

to see her awaken from her slumber

proud sons and daughters skitter about her streets

like well-dressed honeybees

feverishly walking, talking, shopping

from one flower to the next

some call it people watching

but I’m a student!

I’m a student of interaction

so call me a major in humanities

she is alive and radiant

and I am turned on

reminiscent of the right combination of man and cologne

aromatic ecstasy seems to be turning into a lost art form

like fathers, chivalry, and 50th wedding anniversaries

 
too many of us going half on babies

too many of us going 50 percent

50 percent of us don’t have whole-hearted perseverance to love

we can’t reconcile our differences

so we lament over paradise lost while we sip coffee

we all be searching for sunny days

we all be searching for a sunny daze

bring me sunshine!

sushine! smolder over so vines grow wild over 18th Street

sunshine! reflect rays turning broken hearts of glass

into rainbows at 39th

sunshine!

gleam!

sparkle!

KC you are my sunshine!

KC you are my lover!

KC you are my friend!

KC you are burnt ends slathered with Gates!



Hiiiiii May I Help Yooooooouuuu!!



KC you are gizzards packed in red and white boxes!

Go Chicken Goooooo!!!


 
KC you are a maverick Texan turned Chief!


KC you are a Kangaroo suspended in rare air on brick buildings


KC you are Satchel, Buck, Jackie


KC you are a city of Kings not Killaz


KC you are Royal


KC you are Cobras marching down Grand Blvd


KC you are a lyrical legend born on 57th and Highland


KC you are the Bloodstone giving way to LoKey

KC you are Oleta, Ida, Hagenbach and Monae

KC you are trendy like Kate Spade

KC you are blue cool fountains springing

KC you are my native tongue

KC you are beautiful!

KC you are beautiful!

KC you are beautiful!


KC you are home!





-Mz Angela Roux




No comments:

Post a Comment